A few months ago, I decided I wanted to run a marathon. I’m still kind of freaking out over that decision.
When I first started thinking about it, I was trying to decide if I wanted to run the Space Coast Marathon in December or the Disney World Marathon in January. I’m horribly indecisive so I figured, what’s the worst that could happen, and signed up for both.
I’d been planning to use the “Marathon Finish It” plan from the ladies at Another Mother Runner, so I sat down yesterday and started plugging the runs into my training calendar. The weeks between the two marathons kind of scared me. I took a break from it and started reading first marathon race recaps from some of my favorite running bloggers. Then I got more than a little scared. Nearly every single one of the race recaps say the same thing – respect the distance, it’s not the same as running two half’s, it is brutal on your body.
Is it too much to run my second marathon just six weeks after my first?
Am I going to want to die running my first and second marathon that close together?
I can easily step down to the half for Space Coast and I’m really starting to think that might be for the best. I don’t want to bail just because I’m scared, but I also don’t want to end up hurt and unable to run the Disney Marathon. The problem with me is, I’m stubborn. If I say I’m going to do something (and especially if I put it out here on my blog) then it’s really hard for me to bail on it. I’m learning that sometimes you have to take a step back and re-evaluate, but it is really hard for me.
This picture has nothing to do with this post, but I love it. I need to go download it so you can see Braden’s sweet little face.
I know that if I do the training, I can get it done.. but at what cost? I’m already struggling with an angry achilles tendon. Everything I read says I’m going to be totally beat up after my first marathon. Throw in the fact that we’ll be at Disney for four days following Space Coast, and that my husband wouldn’t be there to see me finish my first marathon (he’s staying home with our kids).. it just seems like maybe it’s not a good idea anymore. Really, it probably never was.
So what do you think.. is it too much, too soon?
Should I stick to my plan and run both or is it smarter to run the half at Space Coast and save the full for Disney?